Nicolina Sergiacomo Peduzzi, daughter of Gaetano Sergiacomo, was born in Penne, a town located in Abruzzo on a beautiful hill between the Adriatic Sea and the majestic Gran Sasso, the highest peek of the Apennines. In 1929, Gaetano Sergiacomo started to produce rustic pasta for the first time in the small town utilizing the whole wheat flour they produced at the family’s stone mill. During these years, the pasta was sold in bulk or simply wrapped in brown craft paper.
Nicolina grew up in an environment full of baking, cooking and pasta making, and in 1981, with her late husband Piero Peduzzi, she decided to revive the “pastificio” (pasta factory) of her father Gaetano Sergiacomo. Their first product was to revive the orginal whole wheat pasta and they named this product line: Rustichella d’Abruzzo. In 1989, Nicolina’s adult children Gianluigi and Stefania joined the business starting a new era for the little known pasta factory. With the vision of Gianluigi, Rustichella d’Abruzzo began to create a greater variety of pasta shapes with a small production of conventional durum wheat semolina pasta. After a few years, and with the arrival to the company of Giancarlo d’Annibale, Stefania’s husband, the assortment of shapes and sizes produced in the small family pastificcio began to increase to what is today one of the most extensive artisanal pasta and gourmet selection lines available in Italy.